Article

Floyd Mayweather is back! Undefeated champion will return to boxing a… — and more

Floyd Mayweather is back! Undefeated champion will return to boxing after upcoming exhibition with Mike Tyson

Floyd Mayweather Jr. is returning to professional boxing, and he's not talking about some senior-circuit exhibition against a 59-year-old Mike Tyson.

Eddie Hearn 'devastated' by Conor Benn's stunning defection to Zuffa: 'I can't believe it'

When Dana White and Zuffa Boxing announced the shocking signing of British welterweight star Conor Benn on Friday, it was a move that stunned everyone within the sport. Benn had been with Eddie Hearn's Matchroom promotional stable since his professional debut in 2016 and the pair had overcome a significant amount of adversity in their journey to Benn becoming one of boxing's biggest attractions.

Hearn reacted to Benn's departure on iFL TV just a few hours after the announcement. In a somber conversation, the Matchroom headman acknowledged that he was "pretty devastated" by the news. 

"I blame myself because I just forgot it was boxing. I just felt that the loyalty that we've shown [Benn] would never, ever put us in this position. I just felt that I never really needed to push Conor Benn to sign a new contract previously, and I probably could have got him to sign a new contract previously. But like I said, I blame myself. 

"I made a mistake because I misjudged the character. And again, I'm not going to hang him out to dry on it. He will say, 'It was a big offer, right?' But, you know, when I received the email from his lawyer, I texted him and said, 'I think we should have a call. I think for everything I've done for you, I think I deserve a call.' And he said, 'No.' And I was like, 'Man, f***, I can't believe it.'

"I just don't know what to say other than I just felt that everything that we gave him, the loyalty that we gave him, the support we gave him, would be enough to talk it through — or just, you know, get close to a number. But it wasn't. It wasn't really the interest. So very, very surprising, very, very painful."

Hearn has had many fighters walk away from his promotion over his 15-year career in boxing promotion, but none as agonizing as Benn's exit from Matchroom. Just days prior, Matchroom announced a five-year extension with DAZN, and Benn's face was portrayed as one of the focal points of their stable.

According to Hearn, Benn messaged him after Friday's announcement of the signing, and things were not left on good terms. 

"I've had a couple of texts, [because Benn] texted me just after the announcement. And I replied, you know, we had a few back-and-forths, but you either feel like you've done nothing wrong or you're — like I say, everyone's different."

"[It] feels a little bit of a wasted few years, [because] I gave a lot. I gave a lot. You know how hard I fought [for Benn]. You know when no one believed him, no one backed him, I did. I believed him and I backed him and I never gave in. When he was done, [I] loaned him hundreds of thousands of pounds."

Benn failed two drug tests for the banned substance clomifene in the summer of 2022. What ensued was a two-year process for Benn to clear his name. During that time, many in boxing turned against Benn, including the British public. Hearn, however, stood by Benn all the way through, insisting that he believed his fighter was innocent.

Hearn suffered plenty of criticism from boxing fans for supporting someone who they felt had tried to cheat the sport. The Benn saga was the main talking point in multiple battles between Hearn and talkSPORT presenter Simon Jordan, which made headlines across Britain. Yet the British promoter vehemently defended his fighter at every turn, even financially supporting him so Benn could pay his legal fees during the process. Hearn said that the cancellation of the original Chris Eubank Jr. vs. Benn fight had cost him well over £1 million.

Benn is managed by Keith Connolly, who also represents Edgar Berlanga and Richardson Hitchins, both of whom left Hearn's Matchroom in recent years. Hitchins famously declared his free agency in the ring after his successful title defense against George Kambosos this past June — a move which angered Hearn severely. 

"I blame myself," Hearn concluded of Benn. "I got the character wrong. I took the loyalty for granted because of what I did, and I shouldn't have done that. And I've made that mistake before in boxing, but I just didn't expect it from Conor Benn. So like I said, maybe he's not quite the person I thought he was. I don't know. Look, maybe we'll talk [with Benn] in the future, but what can I say?"

German Soccer Team Refuses to Tour in U.S. Because of ICE Shootings: 'Does Not Fit Our with Values'

Werder Bremen players, January 2026 Philipp von Ditfurth/picture alliance via Getty
Werder Bremen players, January 2026

Philipp von Ditfurth/picture alliance via Getty

NEED TO KNOW

  • A German soccer team pulls out of a trip to the U.S. following the fatal shootings of two American citizens by federal agents
  • A spokesperson for Werder Bremen said the civil injustices did not align with their values
  • Renee Nicole Good and Alex Pretti were both shot and killed in Minneapolis in January by federal agents

German soccer team Werder Bremen will no longer be visiting the U.S. after sharing its disapproval for recent ICE shootings in Minnesota.

In a statement released by a team spokesperson, the organization said it will not continue with a previously planned trip to Minneapolis, stating that civil unrest following the fatal shootings of two American citizens by federal agents, Reuters reported Friday, Feb. 20.

"It is correct that we cancelled a planned trip to Minnesota in the United States. There were sporting, economic and political reasons for this," a Werder Bremen spokesperson told the outlet.

Werder Bremen — January 27, 2026 Carmen Jaspersen/picture alliance via Getty
Werder Bremen — January 27, 2026

Carmen Jaspersen/picture alliance via Getty

Werder Bremen was scheduled to play matches in Minnesota and Detroit in May, but will no longer be doing so.

"Playing in a city where there is unrest and people have been shot does not fit with our values. Furthermore, it was unclear to us which players would be able to enter the USA at all due to the stricter entry requirements," the statement continued.

Renee Nicole Good was killed by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent on Jan. 7, 2026, just days after ICE launched large-scale raids in Minneapolis.

The 37-year-old mother of three had recently moved to Minneapolis and was returning from dropping her 6-year-old child off at school with her partner just before the deadly encounter.

Roughly two weeks later, Alex Pretti was shot and killed by U.S. Border Patrol officers in Minneapolis on Jan. 24.

Pretti was 37 years old and an ICU nurse. The Department of Homeland Security claimed that the shooting occurred because Pretti was "armed" and "violently resisted," though witness footage showed he was holding a phone, not a gun.

Another witness detailed the moments before gunfire erupted, insisting one of the federal agents “shoved” a woman to the ground, and the ICU nurse went to help before they were pepper-sprayed.

A federal law enforcement agent outside a home during a raid in south Minneapolis, Minnesota Victor J. Blue/Bloomberg via Getty
A federal law enforcement agent outside a home during a raid in south Minneapolis, Minnesota

Victor J. Blue/Bloomberg via Getty

“[Pretti] put his hands above his head and the agent sprayed him again and pushed him. Then [Pretti] tried to help up the woman the ICE agent had shoved to the ground. The ICE agents just kept spraying," the witness claimed.

She later added, “It didn't look like he was trying to resist, just trying to help the woman up. I didn't see him with a gun.”

On Jan. 27, President Donald Trump said during an interview with Fox News' Will Cain that both shootings were "terrible," but that Good's death made him feel "even worse" because her parents are "Trump fans."

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer​​, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

On Jan. 20, Trump addressed Good's death as he joined White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt for her daily briefing, saying that ICE is "gonna make mistakes sometimes."

In an interview with Fox News that same day, Trump said that he would "de-escalate" immigration enforcement operations in Minneapolis, but clarified that the move was not a "pullback."

"I don't think it's a pullback," he continued. "It's a little bit of a change. We're going to de-escalate a little bit."

Read the original article on People

Proposed Orioles blockbuster trade sees Baltimore land $9.35 million two-time All-Star as emergency replacement for Jackson Holliday, Jordan Westburg

This would be an amazing move by Baltimore.

Suns' Haywood Highsmith looks to return from surgery this season

Haywood Highsmith didn’t sign with the Phoenix Suns to sit out the rest of the 2025-26 season.

The 6-foot-5 forward looks to return to action after having surgery last August to repair a meniscal tear in his right knee from training in his hometown of Baltimore. He has yet to play a game this season.

“I'm here to play basketball at the end of the day,” Highsmith said Feb. 20. “That's what I want to do. So we'll figure out when that happens and go from there. I'm going to continue to put the work in and control what I can control and just go from there."

Highsmith signed with the Suns as a free agent earlier this month. At the time of his surgery, Highsmith was expected to miss eight-to-10 weeks.

“We're excited to have him,” Suns coach Jordan Ott said Feb. 19. “Right now, he just continues to go through more testing with our group. Similar to everyone else, when they come into our group, we'll have a plan. Get him back out there.”

The Suns (32-24) have 26 more games remaining in the regular season as they begin a four-game homestand Feb. 21 against the Orlando Magic (29-25).

“I appreciate the Suns giving me an opportunity,” Highsmith said. “Got here right after (NBA All-Star break) earlier this week. Met the staff, met everybody. Just getting acquainted, getting acclimated with everybody. Trying to get right to work, do whatever it takes to get back on the court as quickly as possible. Working with the training staff and the coaches and figuring out what the plan is.”

Highsmith last played April 28, 2025, in the first round of the NBA playoffs for the Miami Heat against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Ott was an assistant with the Cavs, who swept the Heat. Highsmith scored 17 points in Game 2 of the series, hitting 5-of-6 from 3 in a 121-112 loss for the Heat.

That was the closest game of the series, with Highsmith being a major reason.

Now Ott looks to coach him.

“He wants to play,” Ott added. “Hasn't played all year. We want to get him back out there, but we want him to be right.”

The 29-year-old Highsmith can guard multiple positions. He brings strength, physicality, offensive rebounding and the ability to knock down corner 3s to Phoenix.

“That fits right in with me,” said Highsmith, a career 37.4% 3-point shooter. “Just guarding the ball, picking up full court, being tough, making it difficult and just being that tough, gritty defender and making it hard for opposing teams.”

Highsmith earned the nickname “Locksmith” for his defensive prowess from his four seasons with Miami (2021-25).

“They kind of brought it out of me,” Highsmith said. “They also got my body right. When I first got into the NBA with (Philadelphia 76ers) and G League and all that, my body wasn't fully how it should be.”

Undrafted, Highsmith played college ball at Wheeling University, an NCAA Division II school in West Virginia.

“The Heat got me in great shape, gave me the tools as far as the schemes and going a lot of reps in games, playoffs,” Highsmith later said. “That got me more comfortable as well. The Heat really pushed it out of me and from there, I just kind of took over it, owned it and I love it.”

Highsmith has been doing individual workouts with the Suns staff and testing the knee.

“Doing a lot of strength tests,” Highsmith said. “Movement, change direction. I don't think it's really been challenged. Just trying to get the hang of it. Get back into it. I haven't done some of these movements in a minute. It's getting better each rep, each time I'm doing it. Just trying to get more comfortable with it.”

Highsmith passed one major mental and physical test with a dunk in a morning workout before the Suns played the San Antonio Spurs in Austin.

“I had a couple (of dunks),” Highsmith said. “It feels good to be able to dunk again. Coming off a knee injury and have that mental confidence. It's always the aspect of coming off an injury the mental side and the physical side. Getting back to dunking is great for my mental and overall, I'm just blessed to be able to dunk again.”

Highsmith underwent surgery after averaging a career-high 6.5 points in 74 games (42 starts) in his fourth and final season with the Heat in 2024-25.

Miami traded Highsmith to the Brooklyn Nets, who later waived him before the Feb. 5 trade deadline.

Highsmith didn’t play a single game for the Nets, who are in full rebuilding mode.

He’s looking to return to the court in Phoenix as he’s joined a team that’s seventh in the West and is competing for a playoff spot.

“The journey I’ve had has been up and down,” Highsmith said. “I’ve just stayed with it, try to work my hardest, control what I can control and God has blessed me to play in the NBA however many years I’ve been here.”

Have opinions about the current state of the Suns? Reach Suns Insider Duane Rankin at [email protected] or contact him at 480-810-5518. Follow him on X, formerly Twitter, at @DuaneRankin.

Support local journalism: Subscribe to azcentral.com today.

This article originally appeared on Arizona Republic: Suns' Haywood Highsmith looks to return from surgery this season

In brief

Real Madrid take ultimate stand against racism under Alvaro Arbeloa - Yahoo Sports Canada Real Madrid take ultimate stand against racism under Alvaro Arbeloa Yahoo Sports Canada

Sean Strickland suffered brutal weight cut for UFC Houston main event Sean Strickland appeared to be in really rough shape during his weight cut for Saturday’s main event clash with Anthony Hernandez at UFC Houston, but when it was all said and done the former UFC middleweight champion still made weight. This is a big weekend for Strickland. The former 185-pound

Athlete of the Week: C.E. King sophomore Dillion Mitchell has eyes set on 2028 Summer Olympics ABC13 highlights budding track star Dillion Mitchell who had already set a record at just 16-years-old and has his sights set on the big stage in two years.

49ers identified as top landing spot for 104-start OL in free agency The San Francisco 49ers will need to address the left guard spot this offseason, and a 2024 Pro Bowler could be the perfect fit for them.

Previewing No. 14 UVA basketball’s Saturday tilt with Miami UVA looks to distance itself from the Hurricanes in the ACC standings