Spring Training always has a way of revealing more than lineups on a whiteboard, and right now, the Red Sox are sending a clear message about Marcelo Mayer:
Nothing is being handed to him.
For much of the past week in Fort Myers, the defensive alignment seemed to hint at a plan, with newcomer Caleb Durbin getting work at third base while Mayer shifted to second. But when Mayer was back at third Friday - largely because Durbin missed the workout with a dental emergency - it served as a reminder that Boston hasn’t locked anything in just yet.
And when Alex Cora spoke to the media down in Florida, he made that reality impossible to ignore.
“With Marcelo, like I said yesterday or two days ago, we’ll give him the baton, but he has to run,” said Cora. “You know, if he wants to be the starting second baseman in Cincinnati [on Opening Day], there’s a lot of work to do. It’s not a given that he’s second baseman or third baseman for this team.
“There’s a lot of things that he needs to show us this spring, and we expect him to do that because he’s that talented, but at the same time, there’s a lot of guys here that can do the job.”
That competition is very real.
While Romy Gonzalez’s shoulder injury likely takes him out of the Opening Day mix, Nick Sogard and veteran Brendan Rodgers remain firmly in the picture, creating a crowded infield battle even after Alex Bregman signed elsewhere and left Boston needing answers at multiple spots.
For Mayer, the conversation continues to center on upside versus certainty.
The former fourth overall pick still carries enormous expectations, but durability remains a lingering question. Each of the last four seasons has been cut short by injury, including last year’s wrist surgery that ended his rookie campaign early and slowed his development at the highest level.
Chief baseball officer Craig Breslow challenged Mayer this winter to get stronger, hoping added durability will help him withstand the grind of a full season - something he has yet to prove he can do.
Then there’s the bat.
Mayer’s .228/.272/.402 slash line with 4 homers in 44 games showed flashes, but inconsistency - especially against left-handed pitching - highlighted how much growth remains.
“He wasn’t great offensively last year - he’ll be the first one to tell you that,” said Cora. “Defensively, he was excellent. Base-running wise, he’s really good. But offensively, there’s more. We know that, but he has to show he can handle this.”
That’s the crux of the spring for Mayer.
The talent isn’t in question. The opportunity is there. But for now, the Red Sox are making it clear that potential alone won’t determine who takes the field on Opening Day.
Performance will.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION:
Remember to join our RED SOX on ROUNDTABLE community, which is FREE! You can post your own thoughts, in text or video form, and you can engage with our Roundtable staff, as well as other Red Sox fans. If prompted to download the Roundtable APP, that's free too!
Tom Carroll is a contributor for Roundtable, with boots-on-the-ground coverage of all things Boston sports. He's a senior digital content producer for WEEI.com, and a native of Lincoln, RI.